Lightweight, Waterproof, Rechargeable Headlamp for Bikepacking
Sorry, No Sales Of This Product Outside of the U.S.A.
If you're going to be riding into the wilderness and camping at night, you need a forehead mounted headlamp, one with an elastic band that fits over your head or helmet. It keeps your hands free while you're working and you are able to see what you're doing.
As you know, I'm a fan of dynamo lighting and they're fantastic for seeing out in front of the bike, but when you have a maintenance issue in the dark, if you're going to be doing hike-a-bike for more time than your dynamo light capacitors offer sustain (15 mins), or if you want to set up or break down your camp without losing your tools (and your mind), you'll need a headband mounted flashlight like this.
I've researched the category and as always, have an opinion on what's best for bikepacking. There are literally thousands of headlamps available in the market, almost all of them are great for one thing or another. Don't get caught up in the bulb brightness or battery storage arms race, and reflect on the purpose of this tool. Here's a checklist:
1) It has to work. Every time you need it to, and without a lot of fuss. Is that piece of junk you got from Amazon going to perform when you're fumbling around in the dark because you have a flat tire or think you might hear a bear?
2) It has to have long battery life, at least 3 - 4 days on the low setting, long enough so that you don't have to recharge it all the time and that you're confident it's going to work when you need it to.
3) It has to have simple controls.
4) It has to be waterproof and have an onboard USB rechargeable battery.
5) It should be lightweight and not take up a lot of room.
6) It should have an elastic band that will stretch onto your forehead or onto your helmet and be washable, because, well, we try to avoid disposable stuff.
7) The pricing shouldn't be subsidizing a brand. It's a headlamp, not designer jeans.
My conclusion - the Nitecore NU17 - your new wilderness lighting partner.
The NITECORE NU17 is an ultra-lightweight USB rechargeable headlamp that provides hands-free capability for your daily tasks and outdoor activities. The NU17 features a bright 130 lumen wide-angle floodlight that illuminates your entire field of view. It also features a high CRI reading light for up-close details and a red light, which is useful if you're protecting your night vision for stargazing.
The NU17 has a user-friendly two-button design where you can switch among the three lights, adjust brightness, and access special modes. The buttons are protected by a solid tab to prevent accidental activation. Built on an ultra-compact frame, the NITECORE NU17 weighs only 1.62 ounces. The headband has a built-in silicone strip that firmly secures that NU17 and diverts sweat away from your eyes. The headband is reflective to provide additional visibility
It's USB rechargeable and runs up to 150 hours on a single charge. That's two weeks of overnights without a charge, people. Its battery and charging status indicator tells you the remaining battery life. Use the included USB cable to charge your eco-friendly NU17 without having to replace any batteries.
|Turbo||130 lumens||6 hr|
|High||28 lumens||10 hr|
|Mid||1 lumens||150 hr|
High CRI White ≥90:
|High||50 lumens||4 hr|
Auxiliary Red LED:
|High||23 lumens||3 hr|
|Low||1 lumen||80 hr|
|Warning Flashing||23 lumens||6 hr|
|LED||CREE XP-G2 S3 LED|
|Maximum Brightness||130 lumens|
|Peak Beam Distance||47 yards|
|Peak Beam Intensity||460 cd|
|Impact Resistance||1 m|